As His People Gaborone, we exist to honour God and make disciples. The great Commission is our mission – Matthew 28:19, “Go therefore and make disciples of all nations…” Our values determine who we are and are the driving force behind everything we do in our church.
Our 5 core values:
- We value obedience to Christ and His word because it is the mark of a disciple and flows from a heart that is in love with Jesus. We call this Lordship.
“Whoever has my commands and obeys them, his is the one who loves me.” John 14:21
- We value spiritual growth because our relationship with Jesus (where we actively follow Him) is the basis of our strength and growth as individuals and as a church. We will not settle to be hearers only; we are doers of the word. We call this Discipleship.
“If a man remains in me and I in him, he will bear much fruit…” John 15:5
- We value reaching the lost because this is the core business and passion of our Father and therefore also our core calling and passion – we are His co-labourers. We call this Evangelism.
“For the Son of Man came to seek and to save what was lost” Luke 19:10
- We value leadership. We have to be able to lead ourselves, if we are ever going to influence families, businesses, communities and eventually societies. Every disciple is called to personal leadership and external influence.
“But thanks be to God, who always leads us in triumphal procession in Christ and through us spreads everywhere the fragrance of the knowledge of him.” 2 Corinthians 2:14
- We value lasting relationships. We do not believe that our marriages, natural family relationships or spiritual family relationships are disposable. We believe in growing together and advancing God’s kingdom in unity. This is what is meant for family.
“Make every effort to keep the unity of the Spirit through the bond of peace.” Ephesians 4:3
Our Statement of Faith:
- We believe that the scriptures of the Old and New Testaments in their original writing are fully inspired by God and accept them as the supreme and final authority for faith and life.
- We believe that in the Scriptures of the Old and New Testaments, God has revealed Himself and given us an authoritative disclosure of His character and will.
- We believe in the sovereignty of the one God, eternally existing in three Persons – Father, Son and Holy Spirit.
- We believe that human beings, though created in the image of God, are sinful and guilty and lost without Christ, and that this truth is a necessary preliminary to the Gospel.
- We believe that Jesus Christ, as begotten by the Holy Spirit and born of the Virgin Mary, is true God and true man.
- We believe that Jesus Christ, as God incarnate, is unique and sinless.
- We believe that on the cross Jesus Christ became sin for us, was judged by God and died in our place.
- We believe in the bodily resurrection of the Lord Jesus, His ascension into Heaven, and His present ministry as our High Priest and advocate with the Father.
- We believe that the Jesus of history and the Christ of Glory are the same Person.
- We believe, because of the substitutionary sacrifice of Jesus Christ, that God freely forgives those who are brought to repentance and faith in His Son.
- We believe that all who are justified by the grace of God through faith in Jesus Christ are born again of the Holy Spirit and thereby become children of God.
- We believe (i) in the baptism of the Holy Spirit, by which believers are empowered and equipped for service, (ii) in the gifts and in the fellowship of the Holy Spirit, and (iii) in the God-given ministries of the Apostle, Prophet, Evangelist, Pastor and Teacher.
- We believe in the resurrection both of the just and the unjust, the eternal blessedness of the redeemed, and the eternal damnation of those who have rejected God’s offer of salvation in Jesus Christ.
- We believe that the one true and universal Church consists of those who have been redeemed by Jesus Christ and regenerated by the Holy Spirit; that the local church should be the expression of the one true and universal Church and therefore that the new birth and personal confession of faith in Christ are essentials of Church membership.
- We believe that the Lord Jesus Christ appointed the two sacraments of baptism in water and the Lord’s supper, to be observed as acts of obedience and as perpetual witnesses to the Christian faith; that baptism is the immersion of the believer in water as confession of identification with Christ in His burial and resurrection, and that the Lord’s Supper is the partaking of the emblems, which symbolise the broken body and shed blood of Christ, in remembrance of His sacrificial death until He comes.
- We believe in the personal and visible return of the Lord Jesus Christ in power and glory to judge the living and the dead.